Does Technology Allow For Idiots to be Truck Drivers?

Shreck

I finally had to drive one of Walmart’s automatics with all the bleeping blooping stuff on it,you might as forget using the cruise because every time you hug the right line to let some one that’s crowding you by it kicks it off anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally had to drive one of Walmart’s automatics with all the bleeping blooping stuff on it,you might as forget using the cruise because every time you hug the right line to let some one that’s crowding you by it kicks it off anyway.
He didn't order that stuff. Came close for some reason, but didn't.

What make of truck/CMS? I've driven 4 Frtl with the lane departure system and none have ever kicked off the cruise. I'm assuming Wal-Mart has their's setup differently?

Freightliner it also cuts the radio off.
Mine mutes the radio as well but doesn't effect the cruise....neither does the Lane Change squawk box with it's A pillar warning light and absolutely annoying warning when you flip on the turn signal in traffic. I know some fleets disable cruise with headlights on and/or wipers....luckily I've never had the pleasure of that programming capability.

It was after midnight when I got in it I spent the whole trip to Youngstown and back looking for the clutch and my right armrest I don’t even want to talk about getting the fifth wheel to release.
I've seen a few trucks in our yard lately fairly banged up.

One of them was a deer strike that looked much worse than a deer strike. Only way you could tell was the tiny tuft of hair sticking out of the OnGuard.

Couple other new trucks banged up.

Conclusion should be that all this crap prevents nothing.

Should be.

One of them was a deer strike that looked much worse than a deer strike. Only way you could tell was the tiny tuft of hair sticking out of the OnGuard.

Should be.
Yeah I nailed a deer broadside right at the radar box. Truck never even saw it.

But it'll warn me about an overpass that's 16 feet off the ground...

Should be.
The sad part is there are enough mouth breathers who can't make a single decision on their own and need to call dispatch for every little move they make that do need this garbage.

I've been in the dispatch office and heard them on speakerphone. It's...depressing. Hell I'm only a 5 year CDL guy and they'd put me on the phone to talk to them sometimes. Because we don't have babysitters at night.

The sad part is there are enough mouth breathers who can't make a single decision on their own and need to call dispatch for every little move they make that do need this garbage.

I've been in the dispatch office and heard them on speakerphone. It's...depressing. Hell I'm only a 5 year CDL guy and they'd put me on the phone to talk to them sometimes. Because we don't have babysitters at night.
Sometimes I'm glad I could never get my own small fleet going.

Much of that is the mega's own fault. You can't micromanage drivers and then expect them to think on their own. Our education system has definitely not taught critical thinking skills like they should, but megas treating every driver like the least common denominator for the last few decades has left them with a driver pool of non-thinkers.

Much of that is the mega's own fault. You can't micromanage drivers and then expect them to think on their own. Our education system has definitely not taught critical thinking skills like they should, but megas treating every driver like the least common denominator for the last few decades has left them with a driver pool of non-thinkers.
Yeah I mean they didn't have enough staff to micromanage us at night. 1-2 guys would handle like 20 drivers. They liked it when you didn't call them for every little thing. Need a mudlap? Find one. Somebody at the rail always left one laying somewhere. Trac chassis missing a light? Zip tie one in place and take it back off when you're done. 👍

Day time was the typical 40 office goons for every 2 drivers ratio bull and they didn't want you to fart without permission. But the rail's roadability shop was open for them and at least two company mechanics were always roaming around in a service truck or two.

Needless to say the first 8 hours of my shift from 10-6 were a completely different animal from the last 4 from 6-10.

Last edited by a moderator:

Critical thinking has been systemically sniffed out in modern society.

Why I liken most to cows....

Of course all that horseshit allows idiots to be drivers

Thats the point

Gotta dumb down the job so more stupid mother****ers can do it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread