Oversize Pics

I certainly don't need the tag axle on the tractor for this. I could take the other truck which is lighter, but I doubt I could get under 80k.

I can bridge about 95k with legal axles on states that allow your gross to be higher than 80k, and then it wouldn't matter if it's divisible, I'm just not sure if Oklahoma and Texas allow that. Pretty sure Colorado does off the interstate.

Might be worried about nothing. A few phone calls will settle it.
I've had permits coming out of Texas and Oklahoma up to Alberta for 120 K on a tandem tractor and tandem double drop. Some of them were around your weight and width but I had permit for that much.

I'm really not sure how much issue they would have with the divisible load though.

@Humble pie , or anyone else with experience between TX and Idaho, I am looking at a 950K in Texas that has a quick coupler and comes with a bucket and forks. My gross would probably be around 85K, 7 axles, will have to get oversize permits.

My cab card shows 80k for TX, 90k for OK, 80K for CO. I am good in WY with just an oversize and I am good in ID with my excess weight permit and annual.

My question is:

Am I going to have to ship the forks or bucket separately because of load being divisible, or can I get away with hauling both together in TX, OK, and CO?
Can’t speak for the others but in Oklahoma legal weights are 80k for interstate routes and 85k for non interstate, divisible load or not, provided you’re registered for it which you are.

Can’t speak for the others but in Oklahoma legal weights are 80k for interstate routes and 85k for non interstate, divisible load or not, provided you’re registered for it which you are.
That's good to know. Does Oklahoma allow 43500 for a tridem then? If so there won't be any issue. I'm pretty sure Colorado does, so if Texas will permit it I'll be in good shape.

I'm not sure we'll get it, but just trying to figure what it will cost to go get it. Maybe @Humble pie can double broker a southbound load for me to go get it!

That's good to know. Does Oklahoma allow 43500 for a tridem then? If so there won't be any issue. I'm pretty sure Colorado does, so if Texas will permit it I'll be in good shape.

I'm not sure we'll get it, but just trying to figure what it will cost to go get it. Maybe @Humble pie can double broker a southbound load for me to go get it!
If the federal bridge law (that’s what they follow)allows it then yes. There is an annual over axle permit folks like me should have for runnin 85k on five but me and many others don’t have it since the mobile DOTnever ask for it, but we don’t generally cross scales either. With no more scales than we have me and @ShooterK2 shouldnt have a problem gettin ya around the hot spots just depends on where you’re comin into our fine state.
You could skip Colorado altogether and sneak through Kansas.

I’m not real sure on the 43500. I would assume so. Oklahoma is a 20,000 pound state. That is the most they will permit any one axle and anything over 15k on the steer is a super load. Also the controls for the pusher axle are supposed to be outside the cab and if they aren’t you better say they are.

Last edited:
If the federal bridge law (that’s what they follow)allows it then yes. There is an annual over axle permit folks like me should have for runnin 85k on five but me and many others don’t have it since the mobile DOTnever ask for it, but we don’t generally cross scales either. With no more scales than we have me and @ShooterK2 shouldnt have a problem gettin ya around the hot spots just depends on where you’re comin into our fine state.
You could skip Colorado altogether and sneak through Kansas.
Probably 287. I have done the Kansas deal as well into Nebraska.

I’m not real sure on the 43500. I would assume so. Oklahoma is a 20,000 pound state. That is the most they will permit any one axle and anything over 15k on the steer is a super load. Also the controls for the pusher axle are supposed to be outside the cab and if they aren’t you better say they are.
The control for pressure is outside but I can lift/lower inside.

The control for pressure is outside but I can lift/lower inside.
Supposedly everything has to be outside the cab. I called and asked the same question and got 4 different answers. The only unanimous answer I got was what the correct answer was if I got asked. They will only give you 8k for that axle if it’s in the cab.

Supposedly everything has to be outside the cab. I called and asked the same question and got 4 different answers. The only unanimous answer I got was what the correct answer was if I got asked. They will only give you 8k for that axle if it’s in the cab.
Is that because of guys lifting them when rolling through a toll booth where they charge by the axle?

I miss-spoke; we have the gauge, pressure adjustment, and an air switch to lift/lower in a stainless box mounted under the headache rack. We also have an electric switch in the cab that LEOs don't need to know about. It's tied into the reverse switch wiring for automatic raising when the transmission is in reverse.

We can only run about 11k on ours due to tire size, but that's enough for our regional weight laws.

I miss-spoke; we have the gauge, pressure adjustment, and an air switch to lift/lower in a stainless box mounted under the headache rack. We also have an electric switch in the cab that LEOs don't need to know about. It's tied into the reverse switch wiring for automatic raising when the transmission is in reverse.

We can only run about 11k on ours due to tire size, but that's enough for our regional weight laws.
I run two regulators. One inside and one outside. The way my axle is set up I can close the outside regulator and it will lift the axle. I keep it wide open and just use the in cab controls. In the event I get asked the outside is the only controls I have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread