New To Trucking Trucking as a retirement option

TXShark

In the not too distant future, I'll be lucky enough to have the opportunity to retire at 50 years old from my current profession. I'm financially secure with good pension and retirement savings. However, I don't want to sit idle. If I could wave a magic wand, my goal would be to buy a decent used truck outright, chuck the wife in the passenger seat and hit the road, wherever I want to go, taking time off whenever we wanted. Now, I know that no such magic wand exists and there are many considerations to be made. I understand that jumping right into owner/operator isn't viable due to experience requirements by carriers and insurance, etc. I fully grasp the concept of "paying your dues" and the last thing I want to do is give the impression that I'm minimizing the hard work and years put in by those in the industry. From the research I've done it looks like the best thing to do will be to become a company driver to get some experience under my belt. With that said, because I'm not forced to drive to pay the bills, and I do have the financial backing to purchase a truck and drive with low overhead, AND I already have health/life insurance...after getting some company OTR experience under my belt, is this a viable goal? For example, drive for 6 months and take a couple months off, then pick up again when I'm ready to get back on the road. I appreciate any insight.

i don't get bored though i do like to keep my mind active and busy so i don't feel put out to pasture
Yeah there was a Spongebob episode where mr krabs retires

He says to hisself on his first day off "I've already did everything Ive ever wanted to do once I retired...... and its not even noon"

Id rather keep truckin than have that be me

Stopping work and having no purpose tends to lead to death pretty quick for men and women.
And I think you're very right about that

I think a lotta guys go on bout how much they hate their jobs, but deep down they aint lookin forward to retirin. Ego just wont let em admit it

He could just go get a one ton and haul campers. They don’t pay great, but it will be easier to see the sights.
My "point" was if they gonna buy a Rig that co$ts as much as half our houses..

You can buy a decent running okay shape motorhome on the USED MARKET..

Be "surprised" how many people go nuts only take 2/3 trips and sits beside the garage for a decade or so..

Pull along though need a STICK shift or one of those car trailers for Automatic..

Wanna get "crafty" on an Automatic could just disconnect the Driveshaft..

Nonetheless if the got the $$$ ..

Tell em how to be FREE

My "point" was if they gonna buy a Rig that co$ts as much as half our houses..

You can buy a decent running okay shape motorhome on the USED MARKET..

Be "surprised" how many people go nuts only take 2/3 trips and sits beside the garage for a decade or so..

Pull along though need a STICK shift or one of those car trailers for Automatic..

Wanna get "crafty" on an Automatic could just disconnect the Driveshaft..

Nonetheless if the got the $$$ ..

Tell em how to be FREE
A motorhome is a money pit.

An old truck is a money pit that can pay for itself.

A motorhome is a money pit.

An old truck is a money pit that can pay for itself.
If they "RETIRED" means they got $$$$$... already

Now @Electric Chicken allow me to "Throw" this back at ya..

Sure Income but Payments along with all the other junk Co$t$ ....ALOT

Trucking is also a "Buisness" and DEADLINES ..

Ya "married" to the FREIGHT..

NOW what I'm saying if they Set Up and "really" RETIRED..

My guess is this is for "Leisure" Purpose and not about $$$ or running a "Buisness"..

Let them go SEE what they actually wanna see and perhaps "Enjoy" themselves too..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread