Trucking News: New rules require 98% across-the-board compliance starting Tuesday

Probably a good time to suggest going back and looking at the purpose of these rules. It is to put pressure on the shipper far more than it is to put pressure on any carrier or driver.

Walmart puts an order in for 60,500 widgets to be delivered to various DC's on the 3rd of November, they don't want the shipper sending 57,285 widgets and not being able to get them to the DC's until the 4th of November.

Walmart is paying $xxx,xxx.xx to get the above product, in full, on a specific day, because they have already planned to have those products loaded into trailers by the next day and en route to stores. If the shipper can't hold up to their end of the deal, they need to be docked for it.

To take this further, the shipper knows the fines for failing to provide what they promise when they promise it, and have the ability to choose to do business with Walmart or not do business with Walmart.

For all the attacking of Walmart in this thread, what seems to be missing here is that this is a win for carriers. The shipper needs the product moved when it is ready, and they know they must get it out on time. This means they pay a good rate to the broker. They also put pressure on the broker with similar penalties for not getting the load moved on time, which means the brokers are going to be much quicker on paying a good rate to get a carrier to move the load.
You're just a brainwashed robot.

Have you considered fixing small engines for a living?

You're just a brainwashed robot.

Have you considered fixing small engines for a living?
I believe I called you a zombie. I dunno, too lazy to go back and read everything again.

But I do recall you complaining about other Walmart drivers being robots when you first started there.

Read it again, brother. It's everyone.

For a carrier, it is between you and the broker. If I accept a load from a broker to deliver a load at 0700, I should 100% be expected to be there at 0700.

For me, this means docked at waiting to load or unload at any shipper or receiver.

If I fail to do this, I can expect to be fined. It is in most of the contracts I work under, and if not, often shows up on the rate confirmation.

I literally just completed a load that delivered to Big Lots, with a $1,000 fine for picking up or delivering late.

Because I have a breakdown isn't an excuse for a service failure. It's an excuse for a company driver, because it isn't their equipment, but at the carrier level, expect to get dinged.

As for Walmart, the only time this comes into play at the carrier level is if you are hauling direct for Walmart. It is then, and only then, that you are under a contract with Walmart, and it is then, and only then, that they could fine you. And if they did fine you at that point, it should be expected because it would be in the contract that you signed before hauling direct for them, and it would have been up to you to accept that contract or move on.

I believe I called you a zombie. I dunno, too lazy to go back and read everything again.

But I do recall you complaining about other Walmart drivers being robots when you first started there.
I still do.

Just because I see the reasons for all this stuff that is whined about without a thought doesn't mean I'm charging into battle with a flag. Frankly I found the whining in this thread to be pedantic and without fact.

It doesnt matter what Walmart does, people are going to whine. But what I've tried to illustrate here is that the Walmart DCs are no different than any other big outfit. But Amazon sure does enjoy a friendly media ally, don't they?

And yes the company is running neck and neck with Amazon.

Who by the way, is in for a nasty surprise when they transition to a private fleet (i saw a class 8 tractor bobtailing around Chicago painted up for Amazon, not just a little step van) and still try to flaunt some zero emissions PR line in the commercials theyre currently running.

But again, Amazon has an ally in the media. So they'll ignore the hypocrisy.

And I still don't know anyone who shops at Whole Foods.

For a carrier, it is between you and the broker. If I accept a load from a broker to deliver a load at 0700, I should 100% be expected to be there at 0700.

For me, this means docked at waiting to load or unload at any shipper or receiver.

If I fail to do this, I can expect to be fined. It is in most of the contracts I work under, and if not, often shows up on the rate confirmation.

I literally just completed a load that delivered to Big Lots, with a $1,000 fine for picking up or delivering late.

Because I have a breakdown isn't an excuse for a service failure. It's an excuse for a company driver, because it isn't their equipment, but at the carrier level, expect to get dinged.

As for Walmart, the only time this comes into play at the carrier level is if you are hauling direct for Walmart. It is then, and only then, that you are under a contract with Walmart, and it is then, and only then, that they could fine you. And if they did fine you at that point, it should be expected because it would be in the contract that you signed before hauling direct for them, and it would have been up to you to accept that contract or move on.
It's all good until you're sitting there staring at the gate plenty early and the clock ticks down to where you can't get docked in time because other people prevent it.

They don't care. Your lack of a stamp says you were late so that's a thousand bucks fine for you.

That goes for ANY customer with these procedures. I've had late fees at another place (grocery DC, of course) for a damned DROP because a) the train unload time makes it impossible to get there any earlier and b) the gate has a phone number instead of a buzzer that all these dumbass reefer drivers never seem to be able to figure out. And it's always non-perishables that I'm hauling.

It's stupid shit like that. Some of it carrier fault some of it shipper fault, not my expense to pay and I'd never run it if it was. But we're talking $600 fines for calling the number 2 minutes late. It's all so stupid and I can't support anything that essentially tags a driver late when his ass is sitting right in front of their sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all good until you're sitting there staring at the gate plenty early and the clock ticks down to where you can't get docked in time because other people prevent it.

They don't care. Your lack of a stamp says you were late so that's a thousand bucks fine for you.

That goes for ANY customer with these procedures. I've had late fees at another place (grocery DC, of course) for a damned DROP because a) the train unload time makes it impossible to get there any earlier and b) the gate has a phone number instead of a buzzer that all these dumbass reefer drivers never seem to be able to figure out. And it's always non-perishables that I'm hauling.

It's stupid shit like that. Some of it carrier fault some of it shipper fault, not my expense to pay and I'd never run it if it was. But we're talking $600 fines for calling the number 2 minutes late. It's all so stupid and I can't support anything that essentially tags a driver late when his ass is sitting right in front of their sign.
None of this sounds like Walmart.

How is it $1000 fine for me? No broker is fining me for not being at the shipping office. They may be fined if Walmart determines the load is late, but I won't be fined.

That is, unless the broker states in the rate confirmation that I must be docked and checked in with shipping at the Walmart facility, at which point, my rate to haul the load will reflect their demands and they will likely find another truck.

Never had it happen though.

I have been checked in late by the shipping office, because we stood in line for 30 minutes waiting for someone to get into the office.

I not only wasn't fined, I collected detention for being there more than two hours.

To be honest, I've always hated appointments.

You ordered it, take it. You sold it, ship it.

No way in hell I could do what people like @ironpony do. 2am delivery appointments just to be told you have an "overage" of 6 cases of kumquat after 4 hours sitting there. I have no idea how anyone pulls a reefer.

I understand the frustration, but to think Walmart is the worst receiver out there isn't even close to true.

No way in hell I could do what people like @ironpony do. 2am delivery appointments just to be told you have an "overage" of 6 cases of kumquat after 4 hours sitting there. I have no idea how anyone pulls a reefer.

I understand the frustration, but to think Walmart is the worst receiver out there isn't even close to true.
Nah they aren't the worst. Every Wakefern other than (in my personal experience probably just with that one chick) Elizabeth NJ ranks worst for me. Never been to a C&S. They're reputedly pretty horrendous.

I just get pissed when the receiver says I'm late when I was most definitely not late. I was sitting out there the whole time waiting for everyone to get out of my way. 👍

My carriers know this with the GPS tags and such but how that all goes down above my pay grade I have no idea.

Yeah imagine if John Q Public tried telling FedEx or UPS they need an appointment to deliver the stupid shit he ordered from stupidshit.com.

It should be no different for truckloads.

You ordered it. It's here. You're taking it now.

That means now.

Like right now.

"Right the **** right ****ing now" - Dimebag Darrell R.I.P.
I understand the frustration, but to think Walmart is the worst receiver out there isn't even close to true
No. Of course not.

But how many people outside of the reefer segment have even heard of C&S Wholesalers?

Everyone on the planet knows about Walmart though. Even N!xau from Zimbabwe knew about Walmart.

You guys really overblow the wait time deal.

1 pallet deliveries are usually done in less than an hour. Truckload is 2 to 3 hours - usually, but not at a grocery DC. Delivery to a food manufacturer is usually under 2. Single product loads like bulk cheese to Kraft, in and out in 45 minutes, daylight delivery hours.

The lengthy waits are almost exclusively at grocery DCs, with appointments after say 8 AM, because the docks are backed up with unliaded product. Especially bad are loads with cooler case items like prepared foods. Those can run into case counts of over 4000, with a couple of hundred different products involved. It takes the receiver a long time to count those loads, and they'll prioritize smaller shipments to get those trucks rolling. Don't do those loads - problem solved.

Anyway, there's a good way to deal with 2AM deliveries. Go back to sleep. Most places give you a buzzer, or call you on your cell when its time to go. Practically no one uses a CB any more, and not that many limit you to monitoring dock lights.

Yeah imagine if John Q Public tried telling FedEx or UPS they need an appointment to deliver the stupid shit he ordered from stupidshit.com.

It should be no different for truckloads.

You ordered it. It's here. You're taking it now.

That means now.

Like right now.

"Right the **** right ****ing now" - Dimebag Darrell R.I.P.

No. Of course not.

But how many people outside of the reefer segment have even heard of C&S Wholesalers?

Everyone on the planet knows about Walmart though. Even N!xau from Zimbabwe knew about Walmart.
Youre talking about FCFS receivers. OK... everyone line up, gates open at 5AM, and the race is on to be first in line.

Plan on parking on the side of the road outside the gate, and you'd better be there at 7PM for your 10 hour wait before road rage hour outside the DC, to get pole position in that kind of mess.

No thanks. I'll take a receiver with an appointment system to avoid that kind of stupid insanity.

Walmart is far from the worst of the grocery DC's, No Doubt. That doesn't excuse their ridiculous gate policy. I can't show up in an hour and 5 minutes before my appointment or I get turned around, but I can show up 55 minutes before my appointment and still not make it to the check-in window in time.
That's not whining , that's simple fact. As a receiver , something is wrong with your protocols, when a truck can be in line at your gate an hour before their appointment, and still be considered late. That's not made up that's not a trucker story it happened to me twice and there were more than a couple guys in line behind me in the same boat.

In the saddest part of the whole deal, Is that when Wal-Mart first got into groceries , they were like heaven on Earth for a grocery DC to deliver to. That didn't last long.

Last edited:
Walmart is far from the worst of the grocery DC's, No Doubt. That doesn't excuse their ridiculous gate policy. I can't show up in an hour and 5 minutes before my appointment or I get turned around, but I can show up 55 minutes before my appointment and still not make it to the check-in window in time.
That's not whining , that's simple fact. As a receiver , something is wrong with your protocols, when a truck can be in line at your gate an hour before their appointment, and still be considered late. That's not made up that's not a trucker story it happened to me twice and there were more than a couple guys in line behind me in the same boat.

In the saddest part of the whole deal, Is that when Wal-Mart first got into groceries , they were like heaven on Earth for a grocery DC to deliver to. That didn't last long.
quit your whining....

Walmart is far from the worst of the grocery DC's,
Not even close dude. That furshugginer DC in the SW part of Phoenix takes the cake. Worse than C&S or Wakefern too. Those guys routinely sit you for 12 to 18 hours after your appointment before you even come close to a dock.

Last edited:

OMG Walmart sells cars now? 😳

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread