Identifying this old truck

As a small girl, I spent a great deal of time in trucks like this, with my dad, who did long hauls out of Detroit. This pic was taken about 1966, and I know it wasn't new. Can anyone identify the make and possibly close to the year? Thanks!

Attachments

• haws truck.jpg
    haws truck.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 29
I believe that's it, the lines are very similar. I thought it was a Jimmy or a White, thanks so much for figuring it out so fast. Great memories in those old trucks with no heat, ac or sleeper. And only a bench seat. Dodged weigh stations, got stuck under bridges, went over mountains no semi ever had before. I learned to use flares and smudge pots when I was 6, directing traffic when Dad had to back up multiple times around hair pin curves on mountains. Two sets of log books. I slept on a packing blanket in the floorboard lol. Thanks again, be safe out there!

I believe that's it, the lines are very similar. I thought it was a Jimmy or a White, thanks so much for figuring it out so fast. Great memories in those old trucks with no heat, ac or sleeper. And only a bench seat. Dodged weigh stations, got stuck under bridges, went over mountains no semi ever had before. I learned to use flares and smudge pots when I was 6, directing traffic when Dad had to back up multiple times around hair pin curves on mountains. Two sets of log books. I slept on a packing blanket in the floorboard lol. Thanks again, be safe out there!
Jimmy would be GMC that was driver slang for them. Glad I could help.

Sometimes I whine when I don’t get a shower or my gloves get old and my hands start to get dirty.

There's another Jimmy lol. I made a CD of all of my dad's old trucker songs years back and used the pic of the Haw's truck as it's cover. He loved it! And I HATED the cabovers lol

Do you have to buy your own gloves?

I think they gave us an el cheapo pair when I hired on but they were the kind that make your hands stink. I buy my own.

I don’t know what they do now, the onboarding process is 100% different in just 3 years I’ve been here.

Last time I heard "Jimmy" it was in reference to the GMC version of the early 90's model Chevy Blazer.
Here's a pic of my '88 Jimmy (like the noted K5 Chevy Blazer) that's generally my daily driver, although it gets a crappy 12 mpg, at most. It's a pretty good horse but sure doesn't ride as nice as the adjacent vehicles, an '05 Jeep and the (just barely visible) '98 Dakota.

But when around trucks I tend to associate the word "Jimmy" with the "Screaming Jimmies" that I drove for several lash-ups, particularly CF tankers. I wonder if those old 8V-71s ever made the claimed 318 HP?

Tulane19F12CFrontYard.jpg

Back in 1997 I was driving a 1973 GMC Brigadier. I know right?
But the new guy (rookie) gets the oldest POS to drive. I didn't know it was a "Jimmy".

Some drivers would ask me if it was gas powered? they said it sounded like it.
I didn't even know back then that they even had gas powered trucks. I hope this one was diesel, because that is what I was filling it with. :D

Back in 1997 I was driving a 1973 GMC Brigadier. I know right?
But the new guy (rookie) gets the oldest POS to drive. I didn't know it was a "Jimmy".

Some drivers would ask me if it was gas powered? they said it sounded like it.
I didn't even know back then that they even had gas powered trucks. I hope this one was diesel, because that is what I was filling it with. :D
Half the trucks we installed cranes on were Brigadiers.

The boss pronounced it "bridge a deer". 😅

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread