I'm contacting various truck manufacturers to tell them how to build safer vehicles.

Better to be a troll than an unnecessary death statistic. I wouldn't dare not ever wear a seatbelt and I hope to God every company rig provides those in proper working order. More than half of American truck driver on-duty-vehicle-accident-related deaths result from vehicle rollover. A fully loaded truck is ten times as likely to overturn as an empty rig but empty rigs take longer to safely brake to a stop and are more likely to skid on slippery roads. Sadly, those cabs can crush like a beer can during a rollover. I want this childish macho-he-man redneck mentality to stop in this profession at once.
If you don’t want macho-manly-redneck in a profession...you probably shouldn’t turn wrenches, or drive a truck. It’s the nature of the beast. Get on board with it or get to packin’. Sally’s nail salon probably train you to be a nail tech.

If you don’t want macho-manly-redneck in a profession...you probably shouldn’t turn wrenches, or drive a truck. It’s the nature of the beast. Get on board with it or get to packin’. Sally’s nail salon probably train you to be a nail tech.
if he has a "limp wrist", he can be a hairdresser...!!!!!!!!!

a truck is more likely to roll over due to the drivers input.

trucks do not roll over "just because"...

Agreed, the truck rolls most often when the driver does something stupid like failing to slow down ahead of time for an upcoming curve. You will never see me try to drive a rig as if it were a slot car.

Agreed, the truck rolls most often when the driver does something stupid like failing to slow down ahead of time for an upcoming curve. You will never see me try to drive a rig as if it were a slot car.
Load it like a freight train drive it like a airplane

Trucking a lot more fun at 85 than 55

My message looks something like this:

Product Safety Concerns

All of your production tractors with sleeper berths should come with sleeper berth side doors for both driver safety and convenience. A small kick-out window does not make for an easy injury-free emergency exit. Sleeper berth side doors make for easy loading of personal gear and supplies for the driver and make for a much safer sleeping environment more importantly.

A possible fire in the front of the cab interior (such as caused by an electrical overload in the dash) could trap a driver inside the sleeper area unless there is an easy escape avenue from the sleeper berth area.

Furthermore, truck cabs/berths should also have standard factory smoke detection and CO detection equipment for added safety. Sleeping and working drivers in vehicle interiors need to be warned immediately in case of carbon monoxide or smoke/fire hazards.

I would also like to see excellent standard cab rollover protection equipment as roll cages since vehicle rollover (often resulting in crushed cabs) is the number one killer of truck drivers in accidents. How would you like to be crushed to death in your truck cab or burn to death in your sleeper for a mere lack of advanced warning or easy escape routes?

My hats off to PACCAR (Kenworth/Peterbilt) for at least having safe-and-convenient sleeper side doors.

Conscientious motor vehicle manufacturers should take extra steps above and beyond what the current federal/state motor vehicle safety laws and regulations require.
I'm sure they'll be thrilled to hear from you.

I've never so much as sustained a scratch from operating any military vehicle both large and small. Many trucks rode quite harshly though. The backlash of 2 1/2 steering wheels, manual steering, was nasty in the field when the truck hit ruts. 5-ton steering wheels were much gentler on rough terrain. The worst injury I sustained as an army mechanic was a big cut on the palm of my hand from handling a sharp burr on a large, heavy drive shaft sans work gloves. The motor-pool warrant officer sent me to the aid station to get a hand bandage. Stitches weren't needed. I've had my butt paddled by those wooden folding bench-style troop seats in the back of 2 1/2 ton and 5 -ton trucks. I don't think Hummer or CUCV troop seats spanked soldier buttocks quite as hard. A 52 Delta in one of my units lost a couple of fingers from a turning fan on a large diesel generator set he was working on. The army surgeon got those sewed back on and working again eventually.

Maybe if'n he'd do some actual research and reading on fmvsss, he'd learn some things about sleepers and the standards before he goes spouting off diarrhea of the mouth and telling people how to do things.

This guy actually hits on some good points about today's trucks. The only concern with them these days is making them lighter and lighter to allow for the increased power train weight due to emissions. Today's trucks are flimsy as hell and something I would never want to have a serious accident in.

As for sleeper doors, they should be standard equipment. I wouldn't have another truck without one, nor should they be built without them.

Is this guy going to accomplish anything by writing the manufacturer? No. Would we have safer trucks if everyone stepped up and demanded it? yes.

Would we have safer trucks if everyone stepped up and demanded it? yes.
Why don't you tell us how much success you'd have had telling Schneider that you refuse to drive a truck without sleeper escape doors.

We're waiting...

Why don't you tell us how much success you'd have had telling Schneider that you refuse to drive a truck without sleeper escape doors.

We're waiting...
smartass mode much?

Like i said, he won't get nowhere pushing for safety items by himself, but the industry as a whole could.

There are companies that have this equipment spec'd on their trucks. Rather than demand that one carrier do this, I would search for another that has equipment I am happy with. At the very least, buy my own as soon as I could.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread