How to get started in the Trucking Industry?

Maria Whitehead

I am looking to get started as a truck driver. I called a few places and they said that I would have to attend a trucking school before they would hire me. A couple of them said they they could put me through a school if I agreed to drive for them when finished.

Any schools that you would recommend? I want to get started off in the best way possible. I have the money to pay for schooling myself, but if going through a company is better, then I would definitely do that.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Glad to see you are researching things, before jumping into the career. I don't know of any specific schools that are better than the other, but the important thing is to research all the driving companies that you are considering as much as possible before deciding.

Regardless which school you attend, you will need to be trained by whichever company hires you. While you are searching for the best driving company for you, factor in their training program.

Once you get some good recommendations on companies out their, ask those companies about schools that they would recommend.

Keep us posted on your research.

I went to school at central refigerated services in salt lake city ut. the school was 2 weeks not very long but it was a good school for the most part by far the cheapest i found at $2,900 I dont think i would work for them @ 29 cents per mile when you can find 34 cents but i did like the trainers alot
if i did it again i would go to the school and then pay it off and go to work with another company that pays more. 4-5 cents a mile is huge in this biss.

4-5 cents is huge in this business. Every penny, providing you can average around 2300 miles per week over a year long period is equal to $1200/year. 4-5 cents more per mile and you are suddenly making 5-6k more per year.

4-5 cents is huge in this business.
10-2, 10-4!!
Every penny, providing you can average around 2300 miles per week over a year long period is equal to $1200/year.
IF one can actually KEEP IT and not give a large portion to uncle stupid.
4-5 cents more per mile and you are suddenly making 5-6k more per year. Again, IF ONE CAN KEEP IT!!

Provided of course that one ACTUALLY SEES the consistency of the weekly, monthly mile averages. Some Drivers do, most do not.
A lot of companies that state averages of "2300-3300 miles a week" don't always succeed in supplying such.
There are the, as you well know, consistent problems inherent in trucking of sitting, and waiting to sit some more at shippers/receivers and truck slops for loads/unloads/repairs/etc.

--Then there's the Log Book detritus and other DOT bull chips.
Do you stay still for 10+ hours because some NON or NEVER DRIVEN a Truck idiots in D. C. determined it to be so?? They're dishonest as Hell yet WE'RE supposed to be Honest along with all the other similar boot scum WE have to tolerate daily??--

I drive by the OLD RULES and log according to the new.

When I get 2500-3000+ miles a week, I feel a wee bit better yet I know that there are as well quite many weeks where just getting 2000 miles is a struggle.

There is NO company that can promise 3000+ miles a week EVERY WEEK, for that is an illusion, unless of course one is pulling a Reefer and even then, Good Luck.

I'm in the uk call me stupid ok not all at once lol
as i have a full uk c+e hgv class 1 artic = semi licence and am able to pull any size or weight can i simply change my licence to a US licence or would i have to go to drivers school and do it that way ??
I have had 30yrs on the road here and am looking into cuttin the rope on this sinking island and setting up home across the pond any help greatful

You would more than likely just have to take the written part over here Nick. If you have been driving 30+ Years over there, as long as you understand our signs and laws, It shouldn't be a problem.

I am looking to get started as a truck driver. I called a few places and they said that I would have to attend a trucking school before they would hire me. A couple of them said they they could put me through a school if I agreed to drive for them when finished.

Any schools that you would recommend? I want to get started off in the best way possible. I have the money to pay for schooling myself, but if going through a company is better, then I would definitely do that.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Well it's now almost a yr since u was looking for a school.Just wondering who u driving for now and how do u like it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread