Best Trucking Company For A New Driver?

AdamAnt

what is the best trucking company to drive for?
best trucking company for new drivers?

Looking for some advice from those who have been there and done that.

I have talked with several companies, JB Hunt, Schneider National, Swift, Stevens, CR England, and several others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I really want to get started, but I have absolutely no family that has done this, or anywhere else to look at for advice form people who have driven or currently drive.

Which company would be the best place to start out? Should I go through one of their recommended schools? Should I pay for schooling myself and then go look for a job?

Thanks in advance :D

Ask 10 truck drivers this question, you are probably going to get 10 different answers.

This is what you need to consider.

If you hire on with a company that puts you through school, make sure you are completely clear on what they will require from you. It is not out of the ordinary for a company to have a contract that requires you to stay with them for 1-2 years, and if you don't you will be responsible for paying them for the schooling.

Now, I am not saying don't take the above route, but do all the homework you can on the company you choose, because once you get started, you need to do everything within your power to stay there during this timeframe.

Also, this goes along the lines with what I have already said, but regardless where you go to work, whether you attend their school or do the schooling on your own, you want to stick with the company you start with for at least a year. Hopefully you will have found a place that you can stick with for your entire career, but if you feel that the place you go isn't that place, you want to have a year with them at least before you go somewhere else.
Otherwise, you in most cases you are starting over with another trainer no matter where you go, and many companies simply won't hire you unless you have one year experience.

Another tip - The grass is not always greener somewhere else. You may have a truck driver tell you that the company he is working for is great, and he gets great miles and great pay. He could be telling you this because he is getting a bonus for any driver he can get hired on with his company.
You will also find that you will come across a driver that may be talking very bad about a company (may be the company you are working for), then next week, another driver may say the total opposite. For many drivers, their opinion of their company depends on the load they are hauling that day.

Hello all, not sure about the best company. I can tell you the best way I have found, "talk to the drivers", they will always tell you honestly how they get treated. Be carefull though, they may go on for everrrrrrrrrr! Good luck and be safe!!!!!!!!:)

I've only been driving for 6 months but I think the way I ended up was a pretty good way to go. I got financing for my CDL school thru the school so I"m not on the hook to any trucking company. I went with a major company that recruited at the school. I drive for 90 days with that company. The first 7 weeks was training and I got training pay. After that, the pay wasn't very good. I've yet to find a company that pays less than the one I trained with. However, that's the trade off. I was straight out of school. Once I hit 90 days, many other companies were willing to hire me. I changed companies and now I'm making 11 cents a mile more than I was with the other company. That's a big chunk of change.

Before I changed companies, I talked to a lot of drivers. I found drivers that liked their company and those that didn't. I found that those that didn't like a certain company gave reasons that showed that their problems were their own fault.

As to the original question, the best company is the one that gives you what you need.

I have benefits thru my wifes job so benefits is not something I need. I started driving to make money. I'm making good money now. I drive lanes that I like. I've learned that my company doesn't have a lot of freight on the weekends so I drive like hell during the week, burn up my 70, then get to set a while over the weekend. It all works out the same. now I've just got to outfit my truck so I've got something to pass the time while I sit.

Sounds like you have figured out the game of truck driving well. As you noticed, much of the complaints regarding trucking companies can often be not the company, but the driver. Yes, there are bad companies out there, but for the most part, a driver just needs to find a place that suits his needs.

To outfit your truck, I recommend a good laptop for internet access and movie watching, and satellite radio. :) That, and anything you might want for food preperation, depending if you want to mainly eat in truckstops, or eat more in the truck.

I have a laptop. I was a laptop technician before I started driving. I've got more computers in my house that the average person would even consider. I have a CB, TV, and cooler. I got lucky and found another driver who quit driving OTR and he was selling his cooler, CB, TV, and inverter for $150. I told him I wanted it all and at the last minute he dropped the price to $80 for everything. Now I just need to get a better antenna, direct TV, satelite radio, and bluetooth for my phone.

As a computer tech and an "inventer," I have a couple ideas for electronic gadgets that will help any driver. I've mentioned the idea to a few other drivers to see if my gadget is something they would use and I've yet to get a negative response. So, when I get so time to sit at my solder bench I can start putting it together.

what about recruiters?

All of these responses is awesome advice. I'm getting ready to get back to OTR. I know all drivers have a different set of priorities when looking for a company, but what are important quesstions to ask any recruiter?

There is no good companies anymore. They are all the same, and do not forget, is driver fault, always!!!!! But I know if you go and work ask question, and how big fleet is in dispatch department. If you`re going to be a number, not a driver with a name I would`t consider good company. Swift, Schneider they don't care about drivers, they use railroad for interstate shipping. Nowadays who care about drivers nobody-nobody.

I didn't start with them as a newbie, but I've heard Roehl can be a good place to start. They have some good trainers who spend time with you so you don't have to go out there alone right away.

You will also want to remember this. Recruiters are used car dealers they will tell you anything you want to hear to get on with their company. Cause they make money when you are hired on. They will all tell you lies. So talk to the drivers to find out the truth. But, if you are looking to get on with a small company. You have to remember that the driver that you are talking to may not give you the facts either. You will be taking some of his loads if you are hired on. So What I am saying is this. Talk to them all. Get all the information that you can. And make the desion that is best for you. Do let them talk you into something. And of course, If it sounds to good to be true. It more then likely is a lie. Good luck and I hope that everything works out for you. However this is on of those jbs that you either love it or hate it. But for me it is a great life

Hello' Its Robert' I' like the forum! well its to bad! C-1 Trucking School is such an..
unwanted training school. maybe they will clean up their act'. better trucks.
And a likeable manner to the students. Lets Hope Robert

I believe that finding the right company to work for is like finding any other job, when you're called in for an interview, ask a few questions yourself. Find out what they're all about as well...I mean after all, they're lucky to have you, make sure you want to work for them.

To outfit your truck, I recommend a good laptop for internet access and movie watching, and satellite radio. :) That, and anything you might want for food preperation, depending if you want to mainly eat in truckstops, or eat more in the truck.

What are most drivers using? WIFI or service provider air cards? If WIFI, how is the service across the country? Is it just the big truck stops, or is it plentiful at other locations? I use MLB-TV and found it excellent to watch any baseball game. They do black out local games by checking your current IP address.

Satellite radio goes with me wherever I go. I have a portable Pioneer Inno unit. I can dock it and input it directly to a vehicle stereo, use a cassette adapter, or my FM frequency transmitter that gets picked up by an FM radio. It's worth every penny of my subscription. XM Roadhouse forever!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread